Saturday, March 7, 2015

A Farewell to Speech and Debate

For the past five years, my participation in forensics has made my life better as a whole. I don’t know how many hours I’ve put into the sport, and frankly I might be horrified if someone could tell me exactly how many. I am done with my high school debate career. I am finished with driving all over the godforsaken state of Wyoming. I am through with spending time with the greatest group of people in the world, both on my team and off.
I am sad. When I began my career, I was a nervous and awkward 8th grader who could hardly say a word without stuttering uncontrollably, especially if a member of the opposite gender was present. At the end of it all, I am an awkward senior with a slightly endearing stutter, who can resist the urge to cry around women. Thankfully, debate has also made me immeasurably more confident in myself. I’ve been through a lot with my team, and I can honestly say that Speech and Debate is part of who I am.
In my early career, I don’t believe anyone had any faith in me, and I can’t say I blame them in retrospect. My first three novice PF meets in middle school ended in a 2-10 record, but I was undaunted. Little did I know the pain I was about to endure for the next two years. I did not do well. In fact, I did downright terrible. For my suffering, I did learn something. I learned to keep going. Prior to this, everything I liked came naturally to me. Debate taught me to learn from failure. I lost in LD? I better do some reading up on Immanuel Kant. My judges thought I stuttered in Reader’s Theater? Practice makes perfect. Something my coach, Mr. Johnson, an incredible influence on my life, told me early on served as motivation for me. He told me “No matter how talented anyone may or may not be, there is someone just as good as you out there. The only way to beat them is work.” So I worked.
Later in my career I started to reap the rewards. Junior year, there was only a single meet that went by where I did not make it to finals in something. I ended the year qualifying for Nationals in Student Congress. The national tournament in Overland Park, Kansas with one of my best friends was among the best things I have ever done. Though I won’t be returning this year, I am happy to see two great guys go, and can look with pride on my presidency.
I am scared to move forward into my post debate life. Stalingrad syndrome? Maybe. What will I do on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays? What will I do late at night? I’ve forgotten how to have a good nights sleep. I have no idea how I’ll go on with life without Mr. Johnson’s semi-forced life advice. But I know I’m more prepared for life at the end of it all.
Am I gone forever? I certainly hope not. I want to judge, and coach, and if possible do collegiate debate. This is what I love. These are the people who have been like a family to me; however, as it stands I have reached the end of my NFL career.
So, goodbye to debate. Goodbye to speech. Goodbye to friends. Goodbye to rivals. Goodbye to late nights and early mornings. Goodbye to hotel antics. Goodbye to all the things I have experienced, good and bad. Until we meet again, these have been the best years of my life. Thank you to everyone who has been a part of making me who I am today.

1 comment: